Saturday, April 25, 2009

Zunko - I Had No Idea

When I saw today's video of Libertango, I was intrigued by the unusual arrangement and the "scat" singing of the husky voiced female vocalist, Zunko. I had no idea when I looked for more information on Zunko that I had opened the door to a Japanese cultural phenomenon of which I was totally unaware. Zunko, real name Shizuki Asato, is a former big name star in the Takarazuka Revue (or if you prefer, a Takarazuka link in English), a Japanese all-female musical theater. Zunko was an otokoyaku, meaning she performed the parts normally performed by a male. So far as I could tell, this is the only Piazzolla song that Zunko performs but if you are intrigued you can see find many more Zunko performances at lovezunko's YouTube channel.

If the video does not appear below, click here.



To learn more about Piazzolla videos, visit the Piazzolla Video site.

1 comment:

  1. Any chance I can have the lyrics? What language is it?

    ReplyDelete