Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gian Luigi Zampieri

If you like your Piazzolla in grande size, you will enjoy today's video which features the full Haifa Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Gian Luigi Zampieri playing Adios Nonino. Zampieri not only conducts, he plays a version of Piazzolla's bandoneon part on the piano and he edited the original arrangement for orchestra created by José Bragato to tailor it for this performance. In comparison to any of Piazzolla's performances of the piece, I find the opening a bit vague but when the orchestra hits theme B at about a minute and a half into the video, there is a serious breakout of luscious beauty which continues to the end. Maestro Zampieri is no slouch at the piano but one can only dream of what this could sound like with a bravura pianist and proper sound mixing.

If you admire Zampieri's multi-tasking in this video, don't miss the video of Alevare from Maria de Buenos Aires, Piazzolla's operita, where Zampieri, in addition to his arranging and conducting duties, provides the narration voiced originally by Horaccio Ferrer.

If the video does not appear below, click here.



To learn more about Piazzolla videos, visit the Piazzolla Video site.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Don, I received your message on youtube asking me for permission to post my video of Piazzolla's work I have orchestrated and conducted.
    I didn't answer on youtube but I write you back here: thanks a lot!!!
    I'm very glad for what you do around Piazzolla's Music and I felt your comment about my arrangements/performances really precise and carefully argued.
    Thank you for your consideration about my work.
    Gian Luigi Zampieri

    ReplyDelete